I am always asked, "What sells a house"? Of course, we all know that location is critical. The basics of the right layout, number of bedrooms and baths, and kitchens are always very important. But the surprise that can be KEY to making your home have that EXTRA something that catapults it into the "MUST HAVE THIS HOUSE" stratosphere is something RIGHT UNDER YOUR NOSE! Behold, (drum roll please), THE GARAGE!
Yes, as boring and utilitarian as it may sound, your garage can be a game changer, a functional feature, and a talking point amongst potential buyers. Not to mention, your garage can also be a major source of enjoyment for you and your family WHILE adding value to the potential sale of your home.
5 KEY WAYS TO CREATE YOUR DREAM GARAGE
WHAT IS YOUR STYLE? Industrial modern? Vintage? Harley? Shabby chic? Minimalist? Elegant?
1. PAINT - Remember, your garage is usually the first thing you see when you get home, and the last thing you see when you leave home. It should be an invitation to leave the world of work and chaos behind. People often forget, it is a blank pallet you can make all your own. An extension of your personality and of the interior of your home. Think of the feeling you are trying to achieve. Consider even artwork for the walls. Most people desire functional organization first, but consider as well, color! PAINT can make a world of difference. Even just an accent color on the floor or walls can transform the space. Consider a textured durable wall cover as a half wall treatment. Natural light and skylights are stunning and useful.
2. FLOORING - High end luxury home buyers are often seduced by glossy high end epoxy, tile or other, defining a refined sense of style as well as luxury and durability. There are also very high end designer snap in squares which allow a homeowner to design a pattern and personalize. Often chosen to accentuate stunning vehicles and motorcycles.
3. WHERE SHOULD EVERYTHING GO? STORAGE IS KING! NEAT AND TIDY, OUT OF SITE, OUT OF MIND - it sends an immediate, unstated message to a buyer, of the way your home has been maintained . Don't miss this opportunity to Wow!
CABINETS are where it's at for luxury homeowners and buyers. Again, delivering the message about what awaits in the interior of the home. Consider professional garage organization companies such as Cutting Edge Garage Solutions. There are also high end looks for storage in the big box stores, IKEA, or get creative, and use your old kitchen cabinets giving them new life with color and/or hardware.
4. LIGHTING - Here is your chance to create and enhance the mood you are going for. You want functional lighting that accentuates work spaces, surfaces, high end vehicles and bikes and high end boats. Consider UNIQUE and unusual lighting for your high end garage, such as a chandelier, spot lights, rope lighting, floor lights, ceiling fans. You can even add some crown molding for an additional detail that adds BIG panache!
5. UNIQUE - THE MESSAGE SHOULD BE, "YOU NEED ME, YOU CAN'T LIVE WITHOUT THIS GARAGE". Arguably, nothing sells a home better than a super high end feature that makes your jaw drop, and you just have to tell everyone you know about what you saw. "You won't BELIEVE the garage I saw today honey", is what you want people to say about YOUR garage. Garages can easily add hundreds of thousands of dollars of value, or just something that sets it apart from the heard.
In the Jackson Michigan/Irish Hills area - HE/SHE CAVES, in luxury garages are HUGE draws. These can include poker/gaming areas, craft areas, media areas, themed restrooms, kitchen areas, art spaces, planting rooms and very often even bars!
Think of creating another haven for yourself, and it's literally, right under your nose.